Friday, January 20, 2012

Primer and Base



The key to good eye makeup is an excellent primer and eyeshadow base. You could use the best eyeshadow in the market and still get lackluster results. Of course you cannot count on a $5 shadow to perform as well as $50 one, but a primer and base make a whole lot of difference. 

First let me be clear about the difference between a primer and base.

A primer is used to coat the eyelids prior to the application of eyeshadow and/or base. It is used to:
  • ensure that the eyeshadow stays in place
  • prevent creasing, smudging, and 'melting'
  • boost vibrancy of eyeshadow
A base is used to make the eyeshadow "stick" and "pop" more. Without the use of a base, you would have to pack the shadow on quite a lot until you get your desired results. A base makes the color show up much stronger, and also gives the illusion of dimension. ( Note that products that may be used as an eyeshadow base will not always actually say "eyeshadow base," although there are companies that do make such products.)

Now on to the fun part. Here are my favorites in the base and primer department:

PRIMER

1. Too Faced Shadow Insurance - $28 MUST HAVE

I put this the first on the list because it literally is, the best. I can honestly say that this primer put Guerlain's Ombre Eclat primer to shame (and that one is so much more expensive.) This product PERFORMS and is my bestfriend on those long nights that I need my eye makeup to last. Nothing to say but praises for this one. 







2. Urban Decay Primer Potion - $24

This cult favorite comes second on my list, as I just don't think that it performs as well as the Too Faced one.  It still is good, though. I am glad that they changed the packaging because before, it was super hard to get all the product out and half of it pretty much just goes to waste.





3. Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer - $22

Smashbox has great products, and their lid primer is no exception. This primer is very easy to blend and goes on smoothly. It prevents creases and smears, and makes your shadow last. The only thing is that when I got this, it was all used up within a month. It's kind of expensive for how much product you get out of it.




BASE

1. Mac Paint Pot in 'Painterly' - $20 - MUST HAVE!

This has got to be the best eyeshadow base in existence. I've been using this product for years and it has never failed me. Painterly is a nude beige color, so you can use it under ANY eyeshadow. It's very creamy and goes on like a dream. My eyeshadow goes on much better and lasts longer with this as a base.

Note: Paint pots may actually be used as eyeshadows on their own. There are very nice and pigmented shades available!



2. NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils - $5

These guys are SUPER convenient and easy to use. You simply swipe them all over your lids and blend them out with your fingers. The ones I use the most often are 'Milk' (white) and Pure Gold (gold). They are immensely pigmented (that it's actually quite difficult to get them off) so you only need a little bit. I use these babies when I want to make my eyeshadow 'pop' more, and to make it last longer, too.




That's it!

As always, thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment